Tuesday, September 12, 2017

The House Boone and Rosie Bought


Maybe The House Boone and Rosie Bought is a bit of a misnomer because - let's be real here - those adorable fuzzy faces are total free loaders.

The reason I give (undue) credit to my resident Goldens is because I noticed I fell victim to two total millennial home buying trends, one of which is completely dog-centric.

I guess we should back up for a moment while I climb on my soapbox to clear up one big misconception: yes, millennials are buying homes. Millennials represent approximately a third of total home buyers and about are two-thirds of first time home buyers are millennials. (Millennial buying trends are one of my favorite internet rabbit holes, but I won't bore you all with the details. It's not the point of this post.) Once again, my message to the non-millennial: we buy things. Not just Apple products, but houses, cars, furniture, stocks, and electronics that don't fit in our pockets.

Rant over. Back to happy things and home buying trends.

The two millennial home buying trends that I unintentionally bought into (wink wink) are:
  1. Buying a home in need of repair and...
  2. Buying a home for your dogs.
Now the reasons I bought a fixer is pretty straight forward. It has less to do with HGTV and more to do with seeing it as an investment. It was also the only way I could afford the type of home I wanted in the areas I was targeting. I'm relatively handy and even more patient so this seemed like a great course for me. And while buying a fixer is a trend among millennials, nothing there is really unique to millennials.

In many ways, millennials are oft considered very wise home buyers and owners. It's well documented that we are knowledgeable about markets, maintenance, resell, and improvements without the help of professionals (thanks Google), but we don't hesitate to contact realtors or contractors when truly necessary.

AKA: Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor was the anti-millennial in terms of home ownership.

Again, millennials buying older homes is not the point of this post. The crazy, attention grabbing trend I want to talk about is millennials buying homes for their pets.

True story: millennials are not only buying houses for their dogs, but buying a home for a pet actually ranks higher than marriage and children as a motivator for buyers of my generation. Even buyers without dogs cite this reason based on their desire to adopt a pet in the future.

Ironically, I learned of this trend on a holiday that is only celebrated by pet-obsessed millennials: National Dog Day (August 26th if you're wondering). Since then, I've been thinking about it a lot. Every article on millennial buying trends seems to have the tone, "you'll never believe what those crazy kids are up to now."

There's no use denying it or feeling ashamed: I absolutely bought my house for my pets - even those darn cats. I know not a one of you would be surprised to learn I prioritize my pups that highly, but it's somewhat vindicating to know I'm not alone.

Candidly, there's so many reasons I shouldn't have bought when I did. The market was (and is) a seller's market. I was in a multiple offer situation. I had a divorce that wasn't finalized. I only had half the belonging I once owned which would have easily fit into a one bedroom apartment.

But for me, there were so many reasons why buying was the right choice. Not the least of which are the four little animals who I talk for in funny voices when I'm alone call my own.


For years, I had wanted a large backyard for Boone and Rosie, a place where they could run for hours after they've already worn me out.  So I bought a house where their dog friends can come play while my human friends have a cook-out or a bonfire.


I bought a house walking distance to two greenways, both of which connect to miles upon miles of other thread-trail greenways. If we wanted to, we could start walking and never stop.


I bought a house with a large laundry room so the cats could have their own dog-free space. And I bought a house with enough communal space for all my pets to cohabitate without driving anyone to insanity.

I also bought a house that could one day have children in it: one in a family-friendly neighborhood with good schools, and enough bedrooms/bathrooms to comfortable house a family of four. But I'd be lying to say that criteria out-ranked the dog-friendliness of the house. If nothing else, those were important criteria to ensure it's a good investment in the event some poor dog-free soul buys this house one day.

Why anyone buys a house is a personal, potentially dynamic, and multifaceted decision. Other generations have bought houses to be as close to golf courses, grocery stores, and interstates as humanly possible. I don't see anything wrong with buying a house for my pets and I don't think we should judge anyone based on if they bought a house because it's close to their job, artisanal coffee, or both.

Maybe it's because I'm an overly-accepting, snowflake of a millennial. Or maybe it's because buying for your pets (who are *bone-afide* family members) isn't crazy at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment