Thursday, September 14, 2017

Jeepers, Creepers, and Ground Cover

Just a few short hours ago I was bragging about my fantastic yard though I managed to neglect one key bit of information: it takes all my energy and effort to even resemble a gardener. I'm not very savvy about how to care for plants nor do I have the motivation to do it regularly.

Despite that, the late summer and early fall weather has been calling me outdoors. The biting bugs have mostly subsided and the stinging bugs have been appropriately addressed (#savethebees #killtheyellowjackets). I can wear enough clothing to protect myself from poison ivy without being soaking wet in the first five minutes. I can even take a certain yellow dog outside without worrying he'll die of heat stroke. Fall is my favorite.

I completely ignored any and all yard work for the first year I lived here... turns out, I *may* have underestimated the amount of work that goes into cleaning up and maintaining a yard. Until about two months ago, the only thing I've accomplished was not raking the leaves last fall so now the lawn is dead...oops. Add a year of growth, weeds bigger than any intentional plant, and a hurricane to the mix and my yard is only suitable for the eyes of my dogs because - fun fact - dogs have pretty sad vision.




I think when the deer feel comfortable in your yard, you need to trim the bushes.

As it turns out, the previous owner had a thing for various ground cover, vines, and climbing plants. I kid you not, I've found no less than 5 different non-grass ground covers and have been keeping myself busy by ripping it all from the ground.

So literally, that's all I've been doing. Glorified weeding. I also have trees growing in my gutters and walnuts the size of tennis balls falling from the sky.

Kudos to those of you that can maintain a yard, but for me the less alive my yard is the better it looks. I can deal with grass and a handful of shrubs, but that's about it. My current goal is to minimize the plants that require any type of maintenance; if it isn't grass or it doesn't repel mosquitos it's just not worth my effort.

Soooo I'll just be over here, pulling ivy out as it tries to grow into my siding (another true story). Free beer to anyone who wants to come do it for me 😊

In the meantime, I'm just going to pretend I'm on the verge of discovering Brendan Fraser in a loin cloth anytime I'm out there.

 
A girl can dream. 

No comments:

Post a Comment